The Prince Street Campus

The Prince Street Campus

When the Gallery opened in 1913, it stood on the University of Rochester campus. You can see MAG in the lower left of this picture from ca. the 1930s.

Starting in 1930, male students moved to the River Campus and female students remained on what was then called the Women's Campus. The university's art history department also remained on the Women's Campus.

In 1955, all women's classes were moved to the River Campus, leaving the Gallery on what is now called the Prince Street Campus. Eastman School students utilized Cutler Union for rehearsal space, and resided in dormitories across Prince St., where School of the Arts (SOTA) now stands.

Some Prince St. Campus buildings were demolished, some were sold in the 1960s, and one burned down in 2015, but many remain on or around the campus. Which ones can you find?

  • <p>MAG Archives</p>

Buildings of the Prince Street Campus

  • <p>Anderson Hall, erected 1861, with statue of President Martin Brewer Anderson, now home of the United Way</p>
  • <p>Seelye House, corner Prince &amp; University, built ca. 1852, UR President's house 1869-1932, then dormitory. Demolished in 1956. From the Collection of the Rochester Public Library Local History and Genealogy Division.</p>
  • <p>Sibley Library, opened 1876, donated by Hiram Sibley, Emily Sibley Watson's father. It was sold in 1956 and torn down in 1968.</p>
  • <p>Reynolds Building, completed in 1887 and sold in 1956.</p>
  • <p>Alumni Gymnasium, dedicated 1900, was torn down to construct Cutler Union in 1932. From the Albert R. Stone Negative Collection, Rochester Museum &amp; Science Center</p>
  • <p>Eastman Building, dedicated 1906, first UR building funded by George Eastman</p>
  • <p>Carnegie Building, opened in 1911 and demolished after a fire in 2015. The building was sold in 1956. From the Albert R. Stone Negative Collection, Rochester Museum &amp; Science Center</p>
  • <p>Kendrick Hall was built in 1912, and opened in 1913 as a men's dormitory. It was used as a women's dormitory beginning in 1931, demolished 1966.</p>
  • <p>Strong Hall, erected 1913, was planned by MAG's architect John Gade. It is now part of Visual Studies Workshop.</p>
  • <p>Anthony Hall, erected 1913, was the women's gymnasium, now part of Visual Studies Workshop.</p>
  • <p>"Brown House," Faculty Club 1924-1955, housed Creative Workshop 1956-1968.</p>
  • <p>Munro Hall, opened 1939, with Foster Hall, now part of School of the Arts</p>
  • <p>Administrative Building, 15 Prince St., purchased from the Rochester Academy of Medicine in 1939 and sold 1955</p>
  • <p>Delta Upsilon fraternity until ca. 1930, then Helen Bragdon House (cooperative dormitory), corner Strathallan and University, sold 1956, later demolished.</p>
  • <p>Delta Kappa Epsilon house on Alexander Street; Frat moved to 49 Prince St. in 1918</p>
  • <p>Delta Kappa Epsilon, 49 Prince St. from ca. 1918-1930.</p>
  • <p>Theta Delta Chi house, ca. 1906, northeast corner Alexander and University</p>
  • <p>Psi Upsilon house at 41 Prince St., later Munro House (cooperative dormitory), sold 1956</p>
  • <p>Sigma Delta Epsilon, 21 Prince St. This image ca. 1922</p>
  • <p>Alpha Delta Phi, 65 Prince St. This image from 1922</p>